I’ve been working hard over the last 3 weeks to clean up my eating. Not only to lose the rest of the baby weight (although, that is a giant factor as well) but also because I’ve been dealing with on and off thyroid issue for the last 3 years. My body has been playing tricks on me and as of recent, my thyroid starting dying out.
It’s a lot to explain so maybe I’ll leave it for another post.
Anyway! Point being, I need to treat my body better. Get back on track. I want to start running again soon so I’ve been doing daily workouts to build up my strength before I hit the pavement.
It also makes me feel better. Not just physically but also internally. I notice significant changes when I’m fuelling my body with food that it needs, not just food that it wants.
And let’s not forget, it alters my frame of mind. I can think clearer, I’m notably more positive and I actually feel ready to face the day.
Eating clean and taking time out of my day to do something good for myself only brings favourable outcomes, and that’s why I do it. With the exception of letting myself satisfy my sweet tooth every once in a while. I’m still human and I refuse to give up everything (aka dark chocolate).
I have fallen back into my old ways, which means going back to my old faithful recipes, but sometimes it’s fun to switch things up and try something new. The last few days I’ve been indulging in this Spaghetti Sauce and spinach recipe. It’s basically a homemade spaghetti sauce (that I’ve made some alterations to) piled on top of spinach. Easy! That’s my biggest motivator when making healthy meals these days; easy. With a toddler and a baby it can be overwhelming trying to meal prep and make healthy choices while being insanely busy with 2 little ones. Sometimes I wish I had a few extra arms…
This recipe will make enough for 3-4 days depending on how big of a serving you have each day. You can also adapt it and make it your own! Spaghetti sauces recipes are easy to play around with until you get the flavour/consistency you want.
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/2 can (796ml) crushed tomatoes (low sodium)
- 1 15oz can organic tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups raw spinach
- Heated large frying pan on stove over low-medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender/translucent (I usually add a tiny amount of olive oil so they don’t burn).
- Add ground beef and cook through until no longer pink. I like to add half of the spices to the meat and the rest when the sauce is together.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Add bay leaves, whole cloves, and the remaining spices.
- Let this simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. You can let it simmer as long as you want, just remember to stir occasionally so that it doesn’t burn.
- Remove bay leaves and cloves (I send you virtual luck for when you’re trying to find those cloves).
- Pour 1 cup of meat sauce over spinach and enjoy!
I love how easy this recipe is not only to make, but to put together, and it heats up beautifully in the microwave for leftovers.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post! I’d love to hear what new and healthy recipes you’ve all tried lately; Leave me a comment below!