Every girl has that one item of make up that is their “go to” on busy days. For some of us, a quick dusting of blush will be enough to feel refreshed and ready to take on the day. For others, it’s some much-needed concealer to hide the fact that we haven’t slept an 8 hour stretch in who knows how long…
But for me, it’s mascara.
A definite must in my books!
Don’t get me wrong, there’s the odd day where it just isn’t going to happen. Sometimes I am way too engrossed in nurturing a sick child or I’m hunkering down at home due to the weather. (aka being lazy)
But 90% of the time I always, always, always wear mascara. It makes me feel awake (because most times I’m not) and rested (also not).
I’ve tried a plethora of mascaras and I’m always looking to test out anything new that hits the shelves, but I definitely have my preferences. Ones that never let me down and are always within reach on my make up vanity.
For the sake of this post being ridiculously long, I’ve narrowed it down to drug store brands and I’m only sharing my current favorites!
The first, is one I’ve been using for a few months now and it’s from the brand Essence. It’s called the Volume Stylist 18 hour Lash Extension mascara.
- It’s a lengthening fiber mascara, made to add extended length/fullness to your lashes.
- I like that the brush is small enough to grab every lash, even the short ones.
- It’s a drier formula (which was never my thing, but I like to experiment sometimes) and it does a really great job at adding volume to your lashes.
- It definitely lasts all day, like it says, and I think it’s easy to apply.
- Which leads me to my next point… it’s cheap! A big bonus if you’re on a tight budget but still want a quality product. I purchase mine at Shoppers and it comes in at a whopping $5.49CND; what a deal!
- First off, I find the mascara hard to remove. In the past, I only ever used products that came off with one swipe… this one on the other hand, can sometimes feel like you’re removing glue from your eyelashes.. Not so pleasant. I did however find a great eye make up remover that makes the task less grueling. It really helps break the mascara down and it actually feels quite nourishing on your lashes after everything’s been removed.
- Once in a while I notice a few of the tiny fibers on my face. It’s not a lot and it’s not often enough that I choose not to use this mascara; I just check periodically throughout the day.
- Sometimes it applies a bit clumpy, so just take your time and work the brush through your lashes to get out any clumps.
When all is said and done, I say it’s a good bang for your buck!
The next one I want to mention is the Loreal Voluminous Lash Paradise mascara. Just typing out the name makes me want to go put it on! A winner for sure. This one is no doubt at the top of my favourites list and I find myself reaching for it the most. If you haven’t tried it yet, you need to.
Like, right now…
Stop reading this and go get it…
Not convinced yet?
Well I promise you that it won’t disappoint!
- Not only does it have beautiful packaging, it also delivers when it comes to volume and length. My lashes feel fluffy and full every time I wear it.
- It’s a wetter formula, but I do find that it dries quickly, so try to apply within a timely manner.
- On that note, I find the application process the easiest out of the 3 mascaras I’m mentioning in this post. I love that it’s swift to apply, but it looks as though I made a vast effort.
- It grabs every lash, even the short ones, to add that extra bit of volume, giving you gorgeous, luscious lashes.
- It is so easy and painless to remove! My daily cleanser that I use breaks it down well enough to get it off in the shower, which I love. The less work, the better.
- Since I mentioned the price of the first one I thought I’d include the price of the Loreal one as well. It’s $15.59 (at Shoppers) but I’ve seen it go on sale a number of times, and recently picked one up, for $8.99.
- I find that this one dries out quickly. I have to repurchase sooner than I would any other mascara I use, but I think it’s worth it regardless.
I’ve heard many times that it is comparable to the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara (a high-end product). I’m not saying that it is because I haven’t compared the two myself, so don’t take my word for it, but the packaging and application brush look almost identical. I’ve watched a lot of videos showing the two products being worn at the same time and they do look very similar.
The last mascara I want to mention today is the one I most recently recommended on my Instagram. The Maybelline Gigi Hadid Fiber Mascara.
- The packaging is stunning and easy to hold while applying the product.
- I really like that you can play around with the mascara and the fibers to get the end result that you are looking for. You can go as natural or dramatic as you want to.
- It’s a wetter formula so it’s easy to maneuver your lashes to how you want them to look before putting on the fibers and setting them into place.
- My daily cleanser does break this down in the shower, but I do still have to use my eye make up remover to get any remaining product.
- When I picked it up at Walmart, it cost me $9.59, which I think is a fairly average price when compared to other drug store mascaras.
- It provides glam lashes without the added headache of applying fake eyelashes.
Is it just me or is there anyone else out there who loathes putting on fake eyelashes…
- It’s a longer process since you have to apply so many coats of the mascara and the fibers. Worth it, yes, but not always ideal for every day.
- Sometimes it can get a bit clumpy, probably because of the fibers. Just make sure to work the brush through your lashes well enough to get out any clumps.
Note: I only recently discovered this product and I’m still testing it out, so my pros and cons lists could change. This is just what I have concluded so far!
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Comment below and let me know if you’ve ever used any of these mascaras and what your opinions are; I’d like to hear your thoughts. Or let me know what mascara(s) you love and if there are any you’d like me to try/review!