Anyone who knows me, know that I am a peanut butter addict.
I can’t control myself, nor contain my happiness, when I get to dive into something full of peanut buttery goodness! There’s just something about the way that it melts in your mouth and the richness of the flavour.
Anyone close to me will say that I have pretty good self-control… but not when it comes to peanut butter.
Okay, I think you get the point here.
But I’ve been cleaning up my eating lately and the “good” peanut butter (you know what I’m talking about) isn’t really all that healthy. I indulge every once in a while because, well, I’m human and I like it… but for the most part I’ve been sticking to the all natural PB.
I’ve been making these bars for a few years now and I love having them on hand. I usually make them at the beginning of the week and then pop them in the fridge for easy access when I’m on the go. Matt and Beau really like them as well, making it an even bigger win for this mom! Matt puts them in his lunch and Beau will have one as a snack during the day.
If I’m being totally honest here though, I really don’t measure any of the ingredients when I make these. I just go by the texture and how it all comes together; sort of like you do when making Rice Krispie squares.
… now I have you craving those don’t I? haha, oops!
Back on track here…
What I like about these is that they are super easy to make, very filling and they satisfy my sweet tooth in a healthier way!
Quinoa Peanut Butter Bars
1 Cup peanut butter – you can use whatever you like. I usually use all natural but I’ve also mixed half Kraft and half all natural.
11/2 – 2 Cups puffed quinoa – Like I mentioned above, I go by the feel and look. It should all combine together into a ball.
1/4 – 1/2 Cup honey – or sweeter of choice. I’m sure maple syrup would taste great as well!
Pinch of salt
Dark chocolate to drizzle/pour on top
- Place a large pot on the stove over low/medium heat
- Melt peanut butter, honey and salt together and stir continually until well combined
- Take pot off of heat and pour in puffed quinoa. Start with 1 cup and keep adding until you reach the right consistency
- Pour your mixture into an 8X8 pan lined with parchment paper
- Flatten and form the mixture into a square (be careful not to burn your fingers!)
- Place bars into the freezer to firm up
- Melt chocolate and pour over the bars
- Put back into the freezer for 15-20 minutes
- Take bars out, cut into whatever size you prefer and enjoy! (store in fridge)